Starting Your Business in Minto
Where Your Business Belongs
Interested in starting a business in Minto? The Town of Minto and the Minto Chamber of Commerce are here to support you as you begin your entrepreneurial journey.
Community Improvement Programs
- Façade & Signage Improvement Grant Program encourages businesses to make façade and signage improvements on privately owned commercial buildings in the Community Improvement Areas within the Town of Minto. Learn More…
- Structural Grant Program offers incentives to landowners, businesses and developers that propose significant commercial, industrial, residential or institutional projects that substantially renovate, restore, improve and update a prominent building or structure. Learn More…
Digital Main Street & Canada Digital Adoption Program Grant
The Digital Transformation Grant (DTG) program is focused on assisting small businesses with their adoption of technologies. The program provides training, advisory support and grants to brick-and-mortar small businesses looking to increase their capacity through digital transformation. Learn More…
As part of the Canada Digital Adoption Program, the Government of Canada has partnered with Digital Main Street and their Shop HERE powered by Google program to deliver the Grow Your Business Online grant to small businesses across the country. Learn More…
Eligible businesses will receive a micro-grant of up to $2,400 to help with the costs related to adopting e-commerce and supported by a network of e-commerce advisors.
The Saugeen Economic Development Corporation (SEDC) and Community Futures program supports your small business by offering loans of up to $300,000 to start, expand, or diversify. Real Estate acquisitions, leasehold improvements, equipment, inventory, and working capital can all be financed with support from SEDC.
“Whether you’re starting a new enterprise or expanding an existing one, if you feel that you have a strong concept and business plan, we recommend that you contact us. Our staff will work with you to determine the plan’s feasibility and explore all possible alternatives available.” ~ SEDC
For more information, contact Jamie Doherty at firstname.lastname@example.org
Support & Training
Launch It Business Exploration Centre is a community hub that connects entrepreneurs and business owners with information, space, and people they need to explore bold ideas and spark action in their business.
- Business training
- Mentorship program
- Networking opportunities
- Office space rental on permanent or occasional basis
Minto Chamber of Commerce
The Minto Chamber of Commerce welcomes new businesses by providing a free 6-month trial membership that comes with a wealth of benefits including inclusion in their Business Directory (print and online) and many other networking, promotion and education benefits.
Opportunity for New Brick & Mortar Businesses
- Together with the Town of Minto the Chamber would like to welcome your NEW bricks and mortar business with a Ribbon Cutting ceremony. Members of Council, the Chamber Board of Directors and the local press attend to meet and greet you, give you a welcome gift, cut the ribbon while the press covers the event on social media and in the Wellington Advertiser. It’s a great way to spread the word in the community.
Starting a Food Business in Minto
If you are interested in starting a food business (retail store, commercial kitchen, home based kitchen, food market, renting a commercial kitchen to make, handle or package any type of food etc.) in Minto you will need to contact WDG Public Health Unit.
WDG Public Health is here to support and assist businesses while ensuring public safety. They will guide you through the following steps:
- Contact your local municipality for information on zoning, construction, septic system and business license requirements.
- Talk with Public Health before starting construction or renovation. Our Smart Start Package outlines the steps you need to follow to obtain Public Health approval for your proposed food premises.
- Complete and submit the Notice of Intent to Operate a Food Premises Form.
WDG Public Health - Opening a Food Business
Notice of Intent to Operate a Food Premises Form
Starting a Personal Service Business in Minto
A Personal Service Business includes the following:
- Body Modification
- Body Piercing
- Ear Piercing
- Eyelash Services
- Hair Cutting
- Laser Hair Removal
- Fibroblast Treatment (Plasma Skin Tightening)
Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health must be notified before opening a Personal Service Business, adding services to existing businesses, or beginning renovations to existing businesses.
Starting a Vape or Tobacco Store in Minto
To register a business as a Specialty Vape Store in Minto (under the Smoke-Free Ontario Act, 2017, in the province of Ontario), or renew an existing registration, the following forms must be completed and submitted to the board of public health at Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health:
Ontario Guidelines for Registration
Application for Registration as a Specialty Vape StoreDownload PDF
To register a business as a Tobacco Specialty Store in Minto (under the Smoke-Free Ontario Act, 2017, in the province of Ontario), or renew an existing registration, the following forms must be completed and submitted to the board of public health at Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health:
Ontario Guidelines for Registration as a Tobacconist
Hosting a Public Event?
In Minto, we LOVE events! They're a great way to bring people downtown and talking about your business!
If you are interested in hosting a public event at your location, ensure you connect with Wellington-Dufferin Public Health to ensure all guidelines are met.
WDG Public Health - Hosting Events
Special Event Organizer Application Form
Special Event Vendor Application Form
Non-Regulated Health Professional Personal Service Vendor Application Form