Public Works

Horse and Buggy Route

Report to Council

About Potholes and Potential Claims

The Town receives several claims for damage caused by potholes each year.  The Municipal Act, 2001, S.O. 2001, c. 25, authorizes the creation of Minimum Maintenance Standards for municipal highways under Ontario Regulation 239/02.  These standards outline, among other things, requirements for road inspection frequency and pothole repair timelines.  The regulation states that a municipality has between 4 to 60 days, depending on the depth, surface area and location of the pothole on the road, to repair it after receiving notice of same.  It is important to note that the time to repair starts once the municipality is made aware of the pothole.  If the standards are met, a municipality will not be deemed liable for damages that arise from that pothole.  The reason for this protection is that the Town of Minto has over 487 lane kilometers of road and only so many resources to deploy for preventative maintenance work. The Town's Public Works Department patrols roadways as required by regulation to identify all required maintenance work including potholes, ditch work, street sign repairs, signal lights, roadway markings, and many more. Inside the Town's boundaries there are several roads which are Provincial Highways, County roads, private roads or unassumed roads where the Town has no maintenance responsibility.  Where a road which is under construction, it is the responsibility of the contractor who is working on that particular road at the time.Avoiding

Pothole Damage

Residents are reminded to exercise caution when driving on roadways, to drive according to the road conditions and at posted speed limits in order to assist in avoiding damage to their vehicle when they encounter a pothole.

Reporting Potholes

Residents may call customer service at 519-338-2511 to report potholes.  

The Public Works Department maintains the following municipal infrastructure; roads, sidewalks, storm sewers, water treatment and distribution, and sanitary sewer collection.

Your 9-1-1 Sign is Important

Your 9-1-1 sign is important for Emergency Services to find your home. The number and the road you live on is your municipal address. Emergency Services do not know where you live unless the number is clearly posted on your property.
If your sign is lost or stoeln it is your responsibility to have it replaced at your expense ($25 for a new sign, $40 for the post plus HST). Please call the office and we will arrange to have your 9-1-1 sign replaced.

Sump Pumps

Homeowners are reminded to check and make sure backwater valves and sump pumps are working properly. Please note sump pumps with water backups will increase your water bill. Homeowners should have a backup source of power in case of flooding or a power outage. Sump pumps and eaves troughs are not to be connected to the sanitary sewer. Homeowners found violating this condition have to comply with Municipal law. 

Dumping Snow on Roadways

No person shall deposit snow or ice on a roadway without written permission from the Ministry of Transportation - The Highway Traffic Act and the Town of Minto.


There is no parking on Minto urban streets between the hours of  2:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. from November 1st until Match 31st of the following year.

Tree Limbs

Anyone caught dumping tree limbs or shrubs on Town owned lots (especially beside roads to the Harriston Lagoon and Palmerston Sewage Treatment Plant) will be charged with littering. The debris has to go to the landfill.

Grass Clippings

Please leave grass clippings and leaves on your lawn for mulch or rake and dispose of them. If these materials are swept onto the street they find their way into the catch basins and storm sewers and block them. The Town of Minto creates leaf drop-off locations every year, please contact the office to find out the location and dates of the drop-offs.