Building Permits

A Building permit is your legal permission to begin construction or demolition. It means that the Town of Minto has approved the plans for a new structure, an addition, an alteration or renovation or change of use of a structure.

Contact the Town of Minto office if you are not sure whether you require a permit for your project. Even though your project may not require a building permit, you must still comply with the requirements of the Zoning By-Law and the Ontario Building Code, It is the property owner's responsibility to ensure that a Building Permit is obtained when required. An owner many authorize their contractor or designer to apply for the permit, but the owner must ensure that a permit has been obtained prior to any work starting.

Approved Building Permit plans will comply with the Ontario Building Code, local zoning by-laws and other applicable laws. Building Permits regulate the types of construction allowed within the community and ensures that building standards are interests, as well as the community at large, and provides for the erection of safe, legal and sound structures.

To obtain a copy of the standard building permit application form, visit the Town of Minto's website or call the Building Department. 

Electrical Permits

The town's Building Department does not issue electrical permits or carry out electrical inspections. Please contact the Electrical Safety Authority at 1-877-372-7233. 


Application For A Permit To Construct Or Demolish

Energy Efficiency Design Form - Prescriptive

Energy Efficiency Design Form - Performance

Building By-Law

Building Permit Fee Schedule

Town of Minto Development Charge By-Law

Site Plan Approval By-Law

Town of Minto Zoning By-Law

Source Water Protection Application


Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing
Ontario Building Officials Association
Electrical Safety Authority 
Maitland Valley Conservation Authority
Saugeen Valley Conservation Authority
Grand River Conservation Authority
Wellington County Development Charge By-Law
Grand River Conservation Authority for the RWQ Program